http://www.barackobama.com
Above is the link to Obama's publicly stated stance on many issues.
However, this is the only reference I will list, because, frankly, all we have to go on is his word.
Here is the reason that I cry: his policies are vague, his stance is weak, and he cares not for the right of the individual, but speaks only (really, listen to him sometime) of the community! Pardon my bluntness, but the sense of community, the feeling of belonging to a greater group or greater good, has long been dead in our country.
The policies that cause me the most grief: Expanded Gun control (Semi-autos banned, tracking and registration of every gun and gun owner, licensing), Public Health Care, Re-distribution of wealth.
EXPANDED GUN CONTROL
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
This is the second amendment. It does not say anything about "this and this and this kind of weapon is an exception," or that "common sense will dictate when this may be ignored." This is a flat, blunt, obvious statement that the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
Pardon the lack of reference, but I've hear it stated repeatedly that when a government removes or reduces the right of it's citizens to bear arms, then that government is too corrupt and must be replaced, before the people are subjected to slavery. Firearms, or weapons of any kind for that matter, are more than just a means of sport, hunt and defense. They are a symbol of an individuals right, individuality, and self-reliance.
In ancient Rome, the men were not only all allowed to bear arms, but were required. The knowledge of war, fighting and defence was not just a trivial matter, it was how one devoted oneself to ones country, and how one defended their family.
In addition, it is a proven fact that when guns are prohibited, crime rates sky-rocket. Reason: The lawful who would use the guns lawfully and responsibly don't have them to defend with. The lawless who don't give spit about what their mother says, let alone what the government says, already have automatics, not just semi-autos. So those who don't care about the law are still armed, those who do care and who will defend the innocent, no longer have them. Easy pickin's for the criminal, because a gun is a symbol of power. And mark my words, they will wield it.
Banning guns, restricting them, never does anyone any good.
PUBLIC HEALTH CARE
This is a much harder one to speak on because while the statement is that Obama wishes to implement "affordable and available" health care for all, there is little on HOW he plans to accomplish this. However, that does not mean that the concept is hard to grasp.
The medical industry is a very touchy one. Due to the demands for instant gratification, as well as the drug and supply companies wishing for repeat business, research into actual cures is slow, and new, creative and attractive methods of simply hiding the symptoms abound. However, progress still is made, however slow that may be.
In a public health care system, however, nearly all research stops.
Why is this? Simple. Research is expensive, it takes money, time, effort, and test subjects. However, when a government mandated care system is implemented, it is always accompanied by capped pricing of medical services, because the government doesn't value the individuals time or credentials.
Considering the time and money it takes to become a Doctor, then the high prices that drug, supply and equipment places charge the doctors, their prices HAVE to be steeped. The government cap is never enough for the doctors to MAINTAIN their practices, let alone expand, or afford to research. And if the government caps the pricing that the suppliers can charge as well, those go out of business because it's just not profitable, which throws the supply and demand to such extremes that the country must then start regulating who receives how much care and who must be left to suffer.
Again, this is hard to argue, because no plan has been presented by Obama that I have been able to find yet.
RE-DISTRIBUTION OF WEALTH
This is the one policy that I can find no good in, and absolutely no foundation. It is simply something for popular vote. There is nothing right about taking the belongings of one person and giving them to another!
Now, I know that there's a classical view of Robin Hood, stealing from the rich to give to the poor. Well let me say that this is not medieval times, we do not have barons owning the land and working us to death, and we are not limited in the work we can do! We are protected by things such as minimum wage (which I don't agree with either, but I'll take that over redistribution of wealth) and unemployment (again, I don't believe in it), and in this amazing country, there are so many opportunities to make money! However, we are the most spoiled, selfish, greedy people. And as if this combination weren't bad enough, add to it that we are lazy. Yep, I'm saying it. WE ARE A LAZY, SLOTHFUL, SELFISH PEOPLE. When did it become a crime to find a job and work? When did having money by wise work or investing make someone a criminal?
The only time a government is supposed to interfere with a persons life and property is when they have infringed on the rights of another. If I start up a business, and withing a few years, I am making $200,000, how have I infringed on anyone Else's rights? How is my hard work a violation of Jonny Capercorns right to work and do as I have?
I am the exact kind of person that this policy is geared towards. Frankly, I don't want Bill Gates money because he's rich, I want his money because he broke the laws and ripped my family off. I don't want to be GIVEN money, what good is that? I want to EARN it because I want to be a useful member of society. Work is essential to the well being of our minds.
The prophets of old in the Book of Mormon times knew and understood how crucial it is for us to labor diligently. In 2 Nephi 5:17 ,"and it came to pass that I, Nephi, did cause my people to be industrious, and to labor with their hands." and of course we can't forget the wonderful King Benjamin who said in Mosiah 2:14, "And even I, myself, have labored with mine own hands that I might serve you, and that ye should not be laden with taxes, and that there should nothing come upon you which was grievous to be borne..." Can King Benjamin come back and be our president??? And two of my personal favorite scriptures on the matter....Mosiah 27: 4, " That they should let no pride nor haughtiness disturb their peace; that every man should esteem his neighbor as himself, laboring with their own hands for support." Alma 24:18, ...."and rather than take away from a brother they would give unto him: and rather than spend their days in idleness they would labor abundantly with their hands."
It seems to me that those states and individuals finding themselves struggling right now economically, want this free ride to "erase all of their troubles." And to them I say, codswallop. I know what it's like to be poor and to be on welfare and to have your pantries and fridge be bare. My mom was one of those lazy people for years, but the idleness was making her very unhappy and depressed. She knew she needed to get out there and find a job and commit herself to working. Despite her disability she went out and found herself a job and although she still struggles, I'm so very proud of her for doing her part and not depending on the tax payers money to completely support her.
Other issues I want to rant about
The final issue is an underlying one to all of these: WHERE IN THE WORLD IS THE GOVERNMENT GOING TO GET THE MONEY FOR THESE? With the economic bail out (which I will go into some other time), the war still not over completely, and the national debt, where are the funds going to come from?
I'm going to leave these issues for now, and will revisit my displeasure at some other time. However, I have one favor to ask of you.
Should you agree with any of these statements, or even if you disagree, make sure your representatives know.
http://directory.usayfound
This has the contact info for every one of our representatives in Utah. The same site has the contact info for every state in the country. Write to your senator, both email and a letter, expressing your opinion. Encourage your friends as well.
This is not a time to be apathetic. That time is passed. Our country has lost a sense of community, responsibility, and political activity. And we are paying the consequences.
I know we are all busy, I know we all have other things more pressing or more fun, but I beg of all of you to please be apathetic no longer. Get involved. Get your friends involved. Make your voice heard, make a stand for your beliefs. Change doesn't happen with just one person, it takes many.
2 comments:
You are so right. I didn't realize you had such strong political views, but good for you for speaking out for CHANGE. CHANGE, right?
And happy birthday.
Jessica, I am so proud of you!!! You have a lot of courage and brains to articulate so well and accurately. What surprises me the most is that you are so conservative. You know what they say......when you are young if you are not liberal you have no heart, and when you are old if you are not conservative you have no brain. I believe you are beyond your years in brains, heart and wisdom. Must have been all those years of seminary.....right??
Love ya, Bro Z (Don Zambrana)
PS. I missed seeing you with Sis Dehmel at the Messiah sing along last Sunday.
Post a Comment