Sunday, July 26, 2015

WHOLE 30

Yikes! I jumped on the Whole30 bandwagon! But guys, I am so desperate. My sugar and carb intake were beyond excessive. Yes, life was stressful for me these past few months. I survived the emotional anguish by turning to food. Gotta test to study for and a house to get ready for showings? Just pick up some pizza! Kids wrote all over the walls right before you have to take them to the sitters so you can get to class, just eat a sugary granola bar so you can wash it off and not pass out whilst walking to said class. Don't want to do dishes tonight so your house stays clean for the 8:30 real estate appointment. Just eat out. And while you're at it, eat out at McDonald's in the morning too because there is no way you are going to get yourself and your kids ready to go that early in the morning (and make all the beds, and straighten up last minute things in the house) without a good bribe. And on, and on and on.

I have gained, 15 lbs in 3 months. 15 freaking ugly pounds. And they need to come off asap. And not just because I have a jiggly belly and I had to buy new bras in a band size up (so depressing) but because I am tired all.the.time. And being tired makes me cranky and that makes me mean and impatient. Being tired also makes me NOT want to be active which isn't helping this whole gaining weight situation, but it's also causing a lot of pain in my body. My neck and shoulders pain has been going on for the past 15 years or so, but I have new pains in my hips and knees. What the heck?! It's like I'm 70!

I tried this diet where you fast every other day and then supposedly eat what you want on the non fast days, but it wasn't for me. However, I do feel like it prepared me for Whole 30 because by not eating I automatically lessened my sugar intake and my sugar intake desperately needed to be limited. I mean I had such a large stash of candy, I could've run a candy shop out of my house. Ok, maybe not, but I had A LOT! I am scared to think how much more I would've gained if I was a soda drinker. Not to say I never drink soda, but we usually don't keep it in the house and thank goodness.

So Whole30 is a 30 day strict diet of only eating meat, eggs, seafood, vegetables, sweet potatoes, tree nuts, seeds, healthy fats, white/red potatoes and fruit (sparingly). The idea is to try and restart your metabolism and to change the way you think about food. See, for me, when I am stressed I really want to to eat me some sugary sweets or have salty chips. My relationship with food right now is unhealthy. I am trying to retrain my brain to reach for food on the approved list or to think twice about what I consume. It's also supposed to help me crave sugar less or be able to use less of it because my intolerance to sweetness will have been broken down and I won't want it as much anymore. If at some point during the 30 days I slip up, I have start over at the beginning. I'd rather not prolong this so I am doing it right the first time.

I asked James to join me and he agreed. We went out to Costco yesterday and bought fruit and veggies and lots of eggs, chicken, sausage, and bacon. James kindly marinated and grilled a ton of chicken breasts that we can easily grab from throughout the week for lunch. Today is day ONE. It's 2 PM which means we are about half way through until bed time. I can I say what the hardest thing for me about this diet is? It's not being able to have gum. I love gum so much! I always have gum around and I always, always chew a piece after a meal or snack. I love how it makes my mouth all minty fresh. I wonder if I can learn to chew on mint leaves and get the same satisfaction? I'm definitely willing to give it a try. For now I have taken up eating mounds and mounds of sunflower seeds. Just cracking the shells and spitting them into cups. Gum chewing is how I stopped biting my nails several years ago and I don't want to get back into that. So, cracking seeds it is!

My starting weight is 169.8 lbs. According to my BMI, I am still considered normal, but in 10 lbs I will be over weight. That's scary to think about. I swore I would NEVER in my life be over weight. Which is what brings me to this diet. It's gonna work. I am determined! I put a sign of approved food on the fridge and pantry. I had all of the tempting candy removed from the house. I have a little dry erase easel board that I am writing on to keep track of our days and write encouraging messages like, "You Can Do It!" on them. Whatever it takes to keep myself on track.


1 comment:

Amanda said...

Way to go! You can do it!