Saturday, January 3, 2009

I've Been Doing Some Thinking...

Did you know that I love people? I'm a people watcher. There is nothing that amuses me more then people. There have always been a million and one things (or so it seems) of things that I want to study and have a career in. I am always genuinely interested in other people's lives. What makes them happy, what makes them sad. How they grew up or one's devotion to their beliefs. I love learning about different cultures and have always found that I excelled in these areas of my life.

I came to Utah with the thought that I would go to school and get my degree in music recording and technology. However, when I got here, it just didn't seem to sit right. I was confused for a couple of months because the decision to pursue a degree in that was the main influence in me coming here. Maybe God knew I wouldn't come here at first just to meet someone. HAHA. He knows me pretty well. I needed to have a plan; even thought that plan seem to fall apart within weeks of being here.

I know that I need to finish school. Not necessarily, because that's what society says I should do, but because it feels right to. I can not rest with the idea of never finishing school. It just does not sit right. I know I would regret it for the rest of my life. I love music, I really do, but I think I need to accept that it's just not my calling in life and leave it at that. I love to dance, but it's also not my calling in life. I will always be a strong supporter of the arts though; always.

There is a subject that has always greatly intrigued me, but because I wanted so much to have a career in music, I didn't see right away what a perfect match it is for me. I want to get my bachelors in Anthropology. If I decide to further my education after that, I want to get my Masters in Psychology. But we'll start with the Bachelors first.

Anthropology has four main academic branches: social cultural, biological, archeology, and linguistics. At the same time, anthropologists are increasingly absorbed with practical concerns beyond the academy. An undergraduate major in anthropology provides students with a sound Liberal Arts education and lays a solid foundation for work in teaching, government, business, medicine, law, and graduate work.

I was looking at all of the classes required for this major and they all look so interesting. I'm going to try really hard to be able to go to school at UVU next August after I get a few affairs in order. Wish me luck! :-)

2 comments:

AngelaBeth said...

Cooooool! Good luck! This sounds great! Soooo how are things?! We haven't talked in FOREVER! And I miss you!

Anonymous said...

Sure, I don't mind that you navigated your way to our blog. :) That's what it's for. Thanks for the compliments. Good luck with the decisions regarding school. That was tough for me too, but eventually I figured it out. :)